Friday, November 28, 2008

X-Mas Shopping Made Easy


My sister-in-law is one of those insane shoppers who thinks Black Friday is great fun. This morning she was at Target by 4 a.m. standing in a line that wrapped around the building. When the doors opened, she literally ran for the sale merch, laughing all the way.

I have never been one to take pleasure in elbowing my way to a bargain. I would rather pay extra to avoid just such a scene.

When it comes to Christmas, I have settled on 'theme shopping' to take the stress out of the process. I give almost everyone on my list a variation of the same thing, from engraved fragrances one year to personalized ornaments the next.

Last year, I sewed vintage-inspired aprons for all the girls in the family. The year before that, my husband illustrated a wine label and we made a batch of Merlot at Vine2Wine in Northville. We ordered a case to share with family, and the bottles made great hostess gifts for holiday parties.

This year, I plan to do my theme shopping at the book store, but I'm going to wait until long after the dust settles from today's shopping stampede.

No comments: