Sunday, February 1, 2009

Thank God for the Superbowl


Well, I'm not much of a sports fan, but I am enjoying the Superbowl commercials and halftime show this evening. Good job, Bruce and Little Steven!

When Superbowl XL came to Detroit three years ago, I scored a press pass to the exclusive Playboy Party. I thought it was my golden ticket to glamour, so I wore my gold party shoes and drove through the driving snow to the event.

Needless to say, I soon found out I was destined to spend the whole night in the press corrall, on the wrong side of the velvet rope.

Me and the other reporters got a list of celebrities who had RSVPd, and we waited, and waited, and waited for them to show. Most of them didn't, and those who did were very, very late.

Covering the 'red carpet' was a lot less swanky than I ever imagined. I felt like a weird pariah snapping photos of the B-listers who trickled in. The girl from My Name Is Earl, a few guys from Gray's Anatomy. Tom Arnold. Kanye West, who snubbed the lowly newspaperpeople and went straight for the television cameras.

But then she walked in. Joan Jett.

In the presence of such rock 'n' roll royalty, I forgot how much my feet hurt, and how lame I was for not being able to crash the party. Joan Jett looks better than ever, and she made the whole Superbowl experience something I will never forget!

1 comment:

Only the Half of It said...

Wow. She looks so young! Red carpets... I was there too. :-)