Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Castor Oil Quandary



So as of today, Violet is 4 days past due. Friends are starting to recommend castor oil. Supposedly you take 2 tablespoons and within hours, voila, baby is born!

I've done some online research, and it seems the oil causes stomach cramps and intestinal spasms (not to mention severe bathroom problems), which in turn stimulate contractions. By all accounts it seems to work.

Why am I more scared to try this foul concoction than schedule a C-section?

I see Dr. Z today at 5 p.m. so I'll find out more about my options. I would love to hear about other moms' experience with castor oil.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Hi Wensdy,

I was wondering if you had that little girl yet! I was 8 days overdue with Isaac. I feel your pain! We tried just about everything, except the castor oil, with no such luck. Good luck with the delivery, and enjoy the extra time you have to spend alone with your son!

Unknown said...

Hey! I checked in to see if Violet had arrived on the scene yet. My first baby was 10 days late! I was so huge it wasn't funny. Didn't know about castor oil back then. I ended up being induced. Hope labor day is soon.
--MomZombie